Hurricane and Storm Prep Tips
Below Are Some Valuable Tips For Protecting Your Property From Severe Weather:
- Secure major appliances to the wall studs or foundation of your home using “L” brackets.
- Inspect your roof and repair any loose shingles to prevent leakage from water and winds, and remove debris.
- Repair siding, awnings, gutters, downspouts and brackets if loose or damaged.
- Clear yard of loose articles and debris. Keep yard tools, patio furniture, grills, garbage cans and toys stored when not in use.
- Trim trees and shrubs to prevent branches from breaking off during high winds.
- A disaster plan and basic emergency kit should be in place before a severe storm strikes.
Have A Basic Emergency Kit, Which Should Include:
- Water – one gallon of water per person and pets per day for at least three days.
- Food – at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food for adults, children, babies and pets, along with a can opener.
- Battery-powered or hand crank commercial radio and a NOAA Weather Radio.
- Cell Phone with charger
- First aid kit – sterile dressings; antibiotic ointment; scissors; thermometer; non-prescription drugs such as pain relievers; prescription medications and supplies.
- Copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in waterproof container.
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person.
- Fire Extinguisher